Friday 3 July 2015

FTII row: Protest is not the solution, says Gajendra Chauhan

New Delhi: Actor Gajendra Chauhan, whose appointment as chairman of FTII-Pune's governing council has triggered protests among the students, on Friday said he will accept whatever the Information & Broadcasting Ministry decides on his fate.
Gajendra Chauahn. PTI
Gajendra Chauahn. PTI
A delegation of agitating students and alumni members of the institute met Information & Broadcasting Minister Arun Jaitley seeking removal of the TV actor.
The delegation held an "inconclusive" meeting for two hours with the senior ministry officials, who heard their demands, according to sources.
Chauhan, best known for playing Yudhisthira in TV serialMahabharat, said discussion was the only solution to the problem.
"I will follow whatever the ministry decides as it is their prerogative. I got to know about the meeting through media. It was between students and the ministry.
"They had certain demands and they wanted to talk to the officials. I have been saying that protest is not the solution to the problem. It's good that they sat together. Let the minister take the final call," he told PTI.
The actor said he was sad about the controversy as he did not even get a chance to perform.
"Questions were raised about my credentials and stature without giving me a chance to perform. I was given a responsibility but I am being prevented from fulfilling it," Chauhan said.
He, however, is confident that he will prove to be a capable chairman if he gets a chance.
"If I continue, I am confident that I will win their (students) trust but I need to get a chance. Judge me for my work. I know I am capable of holding this position. Let us see what future holds."
When asked about not getting support from industry and former alumni members, Chauhan said many people called him to express their confidence in him.
"No, it's not true. In fact, many ex-FTII students and industry people have supported me. They have told me to work for the betterment of the institute."

No comments:

Post a Comment